Wednesday, August 3, 2011

First Project: Video Surveillance Integration to Storage

I've been studying the Server - Client applications. But so far I haven't progressed in any testing. I was able to successfully install in the FMS server the software and activate the license. But that's it. I need to integrate this with our storage product.

I encountered several troubles such as:
1. Installing the Windows
 - The Server doesn't have a CD ROM and I only have a CD. And so I need a USB ODD (USB Optical Disk Drive) or in slightly layman's term - CD Enclosure.
 - Then at last, I was able to install it after days of waiting for an available External CD Drive.

2. Installing the Software
 - I only have an iso file, and I'm not sure how to use it. Thanks to John. I learned that there is such thing us Virtual CD rom. I only need to mount the drive to the designated iso file. Then, thankfully it worked!

3. Activating the License
 - The license for the software was not working. It's activated but it won't work. Good thing it's a known issue where it can happen if the active NIC upon the first start of the server admin are not all active. They reset the license and I was able to activate it.

4. Installing the 10Gig E card / Installing the Driver
 - It's hard to carry the server, I don't know how much it weighs but it's really heavy. So I ask the help of my officemate. Thanks to him.
  - Thanks again to google I was able to download the Myricom 10Gig Ethernet driver.

5. Connection
 - Since it's a 10Gig ethernet, we used a fibre cable and connect it to the switch. Then just used the next available IP address.

And now the real problem begins, what's next?

Good thing my lead on this project knows what to do. However, he was so used to doing it solo. And now he just told me he started the testing. Hopefully, he'll show me how and teach it to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment