Thursday, August 18, 2011

USB is recognized but not seen in My Computer

Okay now I'm in trouble, I borrowed a 320GB USB from a colleague so I could clone a 250GB server. I was on the process of cloning the drive but cancelled it because I haven't formatted the USB yet. But when I inserted the USB back to my laptop. It was detected but it's not recognize or seen in My Computer.

This problem occurs mainly when windows XP fails to allocate a drive letter to your portable drive(pen drive). It occurs mostly with new pen drives connected to your computer for the first time. If you face such problem then it may not be the pen drive’s fault, rather it may be windows trouble.
Fix:

You can fix this issue by following some simple steps given below.

    Click Start, click Run, type compmgmt.msc, and then click OK.
    In the console tree, click Disk Management. The Disk Management window will appear.
    On this disk management window, you can see some drives including the portable drive. Right click on your portable drive and click change drive letter and paths.
    Now a assign a new drive letter which is not being used by any of your drives in My Computer.
    After assigning the new drive letter your portable drive will show up in my computer with other drives

I continued with the Cloning of the Device, but I hope that I could still restore my colleague's USB back to its original state.

No comments:

Post a Comment